HALSTEAD TOWN COUNCIL
STAFF ADVISORY COMMITTEE MINUTES
|Councillor A Munday||Chairman||Present|
|Councillor M Radley||Vice Chairman||Present|
|Councillor M Fincken||Present|
|Councillor Mrs J Pell||Present (Cllr Pell left at 17:10)|
|Councillor P Caulfield||Present|
Also in attendance: Public Mr R. Richmond
Sarah Greatorex, Town Clerk
165. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
There were no apologies for absence
166. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
To declare any ‘personal’ or ‘personal and prejudicial’ interests relating to items on the agenda having regard to paragraphs 7 to 11 inclusive or Part 2 of the Code of Conduct for Members and having taken appropriate advice (where necessary) before the meeting
167. PUBLIC QUESTION TIME
Mr Richmond made a personal statement about Halstead Town Council based upon his own opinion. He said that HTC had had some incompetent clerks in the recent past, but that he considered it to be one of the best administrations in the county, if not the best, for a small council. He said that words such as appraisal and job evaluation instil fear into employees. The council needs staff who are enthusiastic and prepared to go the extra mile, the kind of employee to carry out the work needed. He said that staff should be paid the proper rate for the job, and more if possible, because he felt that the staff deserved it.
The Chairman thanked Mr Richmond for his statement and said that the SAC would consider all the facts when discussing the items in private session.
EXCLUSION OF PUBLIC AND PRESS
The following resolution was proposed by Cllr Mrs Pell and seconded by Cllr Munday.
RESOLVED: That pursuant to the provisions of section 1(2) of the Admission to Meetings Act 1960, in view of the next items to be conducted, the press and public to be excluded from the meeting.
Mr Richmond left the meeting
168. An individual staff matter was discussed and will be resolved at SAC level.
169. The committee reviewed the possibility of an external job evaluation and recommend the following actions be taken:
1. That the SAC seek approval from Full Council to set up an initial meeting with the SAC and a job evaluation agency (JEA), and following that give delegated authority to the SAC to continue on to prepare for points 2&3
2. That the SAC sets up terms of reference for what the JEA should do, prior to any documentation being sent or communicated to the JEA
3. That the JEA supply a quote to the SAC for the work, based upon the terms of reference, and that the SAC then discusses the quote and make recommendations to Full council
170. The clerk presented a report on staff appraisals carried out in December.
There being no further business, the Chairman closed the meeting at 18.00.
Recommendation: that HTC approves the Minutes of the Public session of the Staff Advisory Committee.
Sarah Greatorex Town Clerk